"KNOW THYSELF." This inscription at the Delphic Oracle was a guiding principle of life in ancient Greece. In that spirit, then, to become a student at the College of Stoic philosophers you will be required to complete an autobiographical essay of 1000 words, minimum, before your application can be processed.
In addition to the usual information about your birth and significant or guiding events in your life, please include the following in the body of your essay:
- How long you have been interested in Stoicism.
- Any books you read on Stoic philosophy. If any, please list them.
- Would you call yourself an atheist, agnostic/skeptic, deist, theist?
- Are you a member of a religious faith? If so, which and for how long?
- Have you studied philosophies other than Stoicism? If so, which?
- Do you consider yourself to be a Stoic?
- What you want to get from this course.
Please note: the essay you write will become a part of your College record and will be sent to assist your Mentor in getting to know you better. For these, and all other reasons, you are encouraged to do your best and use your spell-checker.
APPLICATION: Please complete the application below including your qualifying essay. We suggest that you write your essay first using your own word processing program. When the essay is ready, complete the form below and copy-and-paste your essay into the appropriate space on the form.
WAITING LIST: Due to the great demand for this program we currently have more students than Mentors to serve them. For that reason, we have created a waiting list which shows where you stand. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.