Stoic Essential Studies Reading List
- J. Sellars, Stoicism (University of California Press, 2006)
- The Three Romans:
The editions listed below are suggestions. Other editions may be used for the course.
Seneca, Letters from a Stoic (Penguin Classics, 1969)
Arrian, The Discourses of Epictetus (Penguin Classics, 2008)
Marcus Aurelius, Meditations(Penguin Classics, 2006)
- E. Wiegardt, The Mneme Manual
- G. Wasson, Glossary and Pronunciation Guide
Recommended Reading List
- L. Becker, A New Stoicism (Princeton, 1998).
- John B. Brown, The Conscious Cosmos, (an essay on PDF file, 2010) (available here)
- Margaret R. Graver, Stoicism and Emotion (Chicago, 2007)
- Pierre Hadot, The Inner Citadel (Harvard, 1998)
- William B. Irvine, A Guide to the Good Life (Oxford, 2009)
- A. A. Long, Hellenistic Philosophy, 2nd ed. (University of California Press, 1986)
- T. M. Robinson, Heraclitus Fragments, (University of Toronto Press, 1987)
College and Community Essays and eBooks
Faculty and Students
- Christopher Fisher, Self-Coherence: The Fundamental Intuition of Stoicism (2013)
The stacks hold books of general interest to those in the college. Most are links to online PDF, and the size of the file is noted. To better use the stack, right-click the link and save it to your computer.
Mentor Reference Section (login required)
© 2013 - All Rights Reserved